How To Be An Explorer Of The World: Portable Life Museum
0 comment Monday, April 28, 2014 |
Today, I had an hour to kill in Manchester's Northern Quarter, and thought I'd have a look in Magma Books.
I was immediately drawn to How To Be An Explorer Of The World by Keri Smith, a book which promotes the Joseph Beuys "Everyone Is An Artist" way of thinking.
I can't resist Keri Smith's interactive art books or keeping note of every little detail, so I went ahead and purchased the book.
Inside, this book encourages collections of objects, recording of experiences, and looking more closely at things we see every day. For example, to inspire drawing, we can make maps of cracks on the floor and copy water stains.
One of my projects in 2007 was to photograph every chewing gum splat I could find, so this inspired the urban explorer inside me.

On page 6, after this list, Keri Smith writes "Artists and scientists analyse the world around them in similar ways." and I have to agree.
Albert Einstein said "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is."
Artists and scientists are both keen observers, and this book facilitates this need to document the world around us in detail. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to record their world and experiences in an unconventional way. I am definitely going to complete my copy, as I think it will help me to stay focused on my artistic and scientific tendencies, while I am not enrolled in to an academic institution over the Summer!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,