The Fibonacci Sequence: Mathematics, Nature & Art
0 comment Tuesday, April 29, 2014 |
In the first year of my degree at Leeds College Of Art, one of my coursemates introduced me to the Fibonacci sequence.
My friend was fascinated with the Fibonacci sequence, as this mathematical pattern occurs in nature.
I won't write in too much depth about the Fibonacci sequence, as my understanding came ultimately from pictures and diagrams.
Fibonacci Sequence In Numerical Form
0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, 233, 377, 610, 987
Fibonacci Numbers Placed In Diagram

If you were to draw a line from between these squares in numerical order, you would then create a spiral.

Fibonacci In Nature
The fibonacci spiral is clearly seen in this cross cut of a shell.
You can also see a fibonacci spiral looking directly on top of a pine cone or the fruit spouts of a pineapple.
Here's a fibonacci spiral you can witness right now, by merely looking closely at your finger tips.
This discovery has made my every-day experiences much more profound, and it has the same effect on mathematicians, scientists and artists alike.
For a regular dose of fibonacci inspiration, I follow Fuck Yeah Fibonacci. This page has some great art and photographs, here are some of my favourites:

This is a 1985 artwork from the artist Andy Goldsworthy:
There is also evidence of Fibonacci in Hokusai's "Great Wave".

Keep your eye out!

Labels: , , , , , ,