Karina Smigla-Bobinski - Kinetic Drawing Sculpture
0 comment Thursday, April 17, 2014 |
Every once in a while, I come across a piece of work which blows me away.
The kinetic drawing sculpture that Karina Smigla-Bobinski has devised seems to me as a stroke of genius.
The concept at once seems obvious, yet none of us had thought of it.
A bespoke floating orb filled with helium has been embedded with charcoal sticks and left to float around in a pure white room.
As the sphere travels around the room reacting to the immediate environment, the sphere begins to scrape against the wall, leaving marks.





This work can not be described solely as a sculpture or a drawing
Interestingly, it seems to me that the work is an experiment of neither art nor science, floating somewhere in-between the two.
This is the kind of work which inspires me greatly, the art work is all at once playful, experimental and interactive.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,