Simon Thomas: Studies Of Soap Bubbles
0 comment Thursday, April 3, 2014 |

During my research today, I stumbled upon the artist Simon Thomas who is considering the geometry of soap bubbles.
Here, Thomas has considered the geometric "net" of bubbles in his photograph, recreated the pattern in wire, and has cast the negative space in plaster.
You can see the correlation between both works quite clearly.
The mention of bubbles immediately appealed to me, as I have been using soap bubbles in my work for the past couple of months. The importance for my own research is in the finite yet boundless form that a bubble holds for its few seconds of existence.
Thomas says of his fascination with bubbles:
"Throughout my study of soap bubble foam geometry I have been transported by a sense of wonder in the beauty of this optimized fluid structure. It is an example of a dynamic system where the parameters of geometric possibilities and the laws of physics co-exist in an ephemeral harmony.
Closed and open celled foams seem to be found across the scale range of existence, in organic and inorganic structures. "
Thomas then details the exact geometry and physicality of a soap bubble, explaining what happens when bubbles are piled on top of one another. Source.

Avid Wonders Of The Universe fans may also remember that in the Stardust episode, Brian Cox used bubbles to illustrate the number of protons making up each element. I.E. Hydrogen has 1 proton, 2 protons of hydrogen equals helium. etc.
It is fascinating that a soap bubble, something we experience daily, in our boring household chores, can inspire both artists and scientists alike.
Something to think about next time you have to do the washing up!

Labels: , , , ,